Sep 1, 2016

Isla Claire | The Birth

I'm not sure how to put into words the feelings of this incredible day.  I'm still buzzing from the joy and excitement of it all.  I love birth and have always felt a sacredness that occurs there, whether birthing my own babes or attending the births of friends and family.  It's like heaven is closer during those moments of bringing a new life into this world. Oh, how I love it.  


Earlier in the week I had visited my OB, and after checking my cervix and hearing my complaints of constant contractions, they decided to have me come in early Friday morning to help things along if I hadn't gone into labor yet.  I was not excited about the thought of an induction, but after being reminded by doctors of the hour long commute from Temecula to my hospital in San Diego, we decided it would be the safest plan (I was born in a car in Orange County traffic after all.)


So we arrived early Friday morning and luckily my body was ready.  With just a small amount of Pitocin and eventually breaking my water, I progressed faster than I ever did with my boys.  I decided to hold out on an epidural as long as possible and ended up getting one when I had progressed as far as I felt like I could handle.  Once I had dilated to a 9 1/2, I decided to go ahead and get an epidural.  In the past, not only were my labors long, but I notoriously push for hours and hours.  After my epidural, my body continued to progress quickly, and after what seemed like a few short minutes (Sean says it was more like 45 minutes) I was ready to push.  After a practice push with the nurse, the doctor was called in quickly and within THIRTY SEVEN seconds of pushing, Isla was here!  I was in total shock.  I had pushed an average of 3 1/2 hours with EACH of my boys.


The doctor let me pull her out and up onto my chest.  I never want to forget that moment.  Hearing her sweet cry was music to my ears.  I had Sean, Erin, and Stephanie all there with me.  Erin was taking pictures & filming and Stephanie stood behind my left shoulder while face-timing my anxious boys.  I could hear the excitement in their voices as they watched their baby sister be born.  I'm so thankful to have been surrounded by wonderful and helpful friends and family.  I love them so very much.


Isla was born at 5:39 PM on August 19th.  The quickest and easiest labor and delivery yet.  We are smitten.  We are in love.  We are thankful.  We feel complete.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             


































Along with these pictures, Erin surprised us with this video that she made.  I've watched it a million times and still cry each time I watch it.  I will treasure these memories forever and ever.
Thanks, Boo :)              


1 comment :

  1. Congratulations! And, that is a beautiful video. Lisa C.

    ReplyDelete