Aug 26, 2014

Lela & Erin Take Utah | Part 1

Might I suggest?  If you plan to go on a road trip; take someone who is hilarious and who loves to sing along to the same music.  It makes it awesome.  Erin and I have road tripped before, but this was a legit, well planned girl's trip.  The moment we got word from Sean that he could take off work for us to go, we sat down and plotted out all things we wanted to do.  Food being a vital part of all planning - because, duh.  We spent five fabulous days bouncing around the beautiful mountains of Utah, and I'm sure I'm a better mom and human because of it.  I'm splitting our trip into two posts so it's not exhaustingly long. 

We arrived to big, shiny, cloud-filled skies and even caught a rainstorm in Erin's in-laws backyard (where we stayed).  The weather was crazy the whole time.  Thunderstorms, lightning, rain, hail and rainbows.  I kid you not, we were wildly lucky with weather (we must've brought that from San Diego) because we never got caught outside when it was stormy.  It would always clear up for our outdoor adventures.  Winning. 

 We hiked up to the Mount Timpanogos caves early the next morning after arrving.  The views were breathtaking.  Literally.  We just happen to be "sea level" girls and our lungs were hating us the whole hike up.  We survived the hike and it was worth every last breath.  I wish I could take-in all the smells and mountain views and just share that whole entire experience with you all.  Alas, some things just have to live within ourselves - forever etched as bright joyous memories. 









 After our hike we inhaled delicious sandwiches (and this Neapolitan), bathed in luxurious bathtubs, got pedicures, went to a nice Italian dinner and then did a little shopping before heading home to watch Maleficent in their home theater.  How does everyone outside of California have a home theater?  For some of those moments up there, I was imagining a life in the mountains for my family.  I just couldn't believe what kind of home and lifestyle you can get for insanely great prices there.  I was slightly dreading coming home to my old, overpriced rental after being so spoiled.  Why San Diego?  WHY must you be so crazy expensive?
 We started Friday morning with a trip to Young Living headquarters.  We were taken on a private tour before loading up on all our favorites.  It made me love being a part of such an amazing company.  Everyone there felt like family and Erin and I had a heyday with the wall of oils. Junkies. 



Next stop - Downtown Salt Lake City.  I haven't been to Temple Square since I was a child and it has changed SO much.  This was the first time I actually went in the temple and it was like coming home.  Such a beautiful and spiritual place.  As many times as I've seen it and walked around it, it still takes my breath away.  For a building that took 40 years to build and is over 121 years old - it's truly remarkable.  I took way too many pictures of the grounds, the convention center and temple itself. Religious or not - If you go to SLC you have to experience it.  Some of the best architecture in the world is all right there.  




 






 We escaped an afternoon rain shower at a little place called Eva's Bakery around the corner from the temple.  This came recommended by my pal Whitney (who just happens to be the genius behind my favorite cookbook).  The café was so cute and the food was delish!

You know that same pal Whitney?  We met up with her for dinner at Red Iguana for some bomb horchata and nachos.  We shut the place down.  Girl's have a unique talent for gabbing for hours on end.  This was actually our first time meeting in real life.  We became virtual friends through our mutual friend, Lizzy and we quickly realized we we're soul sistas.  She's a keeper. 
That's it for the first half of our girl's trip.  More exciting adventures to come soon....

No comments :

Post a Comment