Jan 13, 2015

Baby Atli

If you read my blog, or know me well, then you probably feel like you know my friend Erin, too.  That girl is one of the greatest blessings to ever come into my life.  When I grow up I definitely want to be like her in every single way!  She has let me go hogwild this year posting pictures of her whole pregnancy.  From her announcement to maternity pictures to her baby shower.  Now, she's letting me give you peek into her home birth and Atli's arrival into this world.  I love, love, LOVE births and I've been lucky to attend many of the births of close friends and family over the years.  I've said this before, but I truly believe that when a baby is born, the veil between heaven and earth is the very thinnest.  Hence all feelings of joy, tears, and uncontrollable sobbing. 

Erin had her two girls while living in Denmark, so this was her first go around back home in the states.  I have never, ever, seen anyone handle birth so beautifully.  It was incredible to watch.  She really knows her body and was unbelievably calm (and quiet).  I feel like a total pansy now, because I'm pretty sure I put up more of a fuss – and I was medicated!  I took notes for Erin on my phone while she labored.


  • 11:00PM. I arrive.
  • 11:15 Erin gets in the birthing tub. 
  • 11:30. Every one's here! 3 midwives. Erin & Kristian's Mamas. 1 Grandma. Daniel and Alyssa. & me. 
  • 12:50 Threw up from pain.
  • 1:04 Erin cracks a joke about how we should get popcorn.
  • 1:06 Water broke.
  • 1:18 Wants to push.
  • 1:23 Kristian grabs Anja from her bed to watch.
  • 1:31 Midwife checks cervix, says "we still have some time."
  • 2:15. Midwife says she can move cervix out of the way so Erin can push better.
  • 2:23 Midwife says she's at a 9 after checking her. A small sliver of the cervix is left. Pushing is becoming more intense.
  • 2:41 Gets out to use bathroom.
  • 2:56 Moves to bed for the final pushes.
  • 3:23 Atli is born on her bed.
  • 3:24 Women crying with joy! 

Atli was born sunny side up (like my Indy) and was 9 pounds 5 ounces!  That is one big Viking baby.  Everyone is already in love and fighting over snuggles.  I'm so glad I was privileged to be a part of it all.  I want to go to all the births I can . . . JUST FOR FUN!  So invite me to your birth. Mmmkay?

*I had grand plans for getting amazing birth shots but it was dark and there was no room for me to get around and up close. Plus, I can't walk - so, there's that. HA! Still, you can get a feel for it all. She's amazing.  Birth is beautiful.  The end. 






















1 comment :